The best of what’s around

Grosse Pointe has so much to offer for food and shopping and everything in between

Jada D. and Alice S.

Grosse Pointe is no New York, with endless shopping and the possibility of getting lost since there’s a Starbucks on every street corner. There aren’t enough restaurants to last an entire lifetime, never eating at the same one twice.

However, in Grosse Pointe, we are pretty lucky.  We have the Village, with shopping, food, dessert and more. There’s the Hill, with a few restaurants and various places to shop (many of which require a substantial budget). We have Mack Avenue, lined up and down with shops and places to eat.

The Bronco Press did some poking around at Brownell and asked students about their favorite places to shop in the community.

Most of Brownell’s students seem to enjoy going to the Village, for shopping, food, or just for fun. People can grocery shop, buy pet supplies, and visit the Tot Lot and Maire playground. El’s is a popular place to buy fun little gifts, as well as Small Favors. Getting your nails done with friends is always really fun, so head to AJ Nails and Spa.

“I like to hang out at the Village because it’s a fun place to hang out and socialize with your friends,” says 7th grader Bella H. “I love Starbucks, CVS, and Village Grille!”

Also, for shopping, there is the Shoe Tree, Village Palm, POSH, Calico (for furniture and home decor), and even El’s has clothes and accessories. Most of all, there’s a variety of food choices. There are so many restaurants in the Village that students our age go to often, such as Panera Bread, T.N. Thai Bistro, Village Grille, Which Wich and Jersey Mike’s Subs, Whiskey Six, Marais, Side Street Diner, and City Kitchen. If you enjoy ice cream, you can go to TCBY or Sander’s!

Colin J., 7th, said, “I love hanging out at the Village because it’s really pretty, especially in the summer, and there are lots of shops.”

Just over a mile up Kercheval, is the Hill. Also filled with shops and restaurants, it’s a popular place for teens and adults alike, especially South students who are so close. There are restaurants, like Lux, the Hill, Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe, Cafe Nini, Morning Glory, and Jumps. There is also lots of shopping, and a lot of places have been there for decades, most of which are more interesting for adults. The library is right there which is perfect for people who enjoy reading and some quiet relaxing.

Finally, Mack Avenue is packed with places to go and things to do. There’s Pointe Plaza (technically in Detroit, but right on the border), which has a lot of stores to shop at and a few places to eat. It has one of the closest and largest bookstores around: Barnes and Noble. There is also a handy hardware store, ACE. On the blocks in Grosse Pointe Woods, there are many places to go for ice cream, dining, and shopping.

“I love going to the Big Salad with friends because it’s delicious and healthy!” said Sarah B., 8th grade.

There’s TCBY, Ashby’s, and Chocolate Bar Cafe. There are various thrift stores, and many places to eat, including Jimmy John’s, the Big Salad, Da Edoardo, Little Caesar’s, and Andiamo Trattoria. For volunteering and all of your pet needs, Lou’s Pet Shop is a great place to go. There is also a Starbucks on Mack which is extremely popular for many who live over there.

Mrs. Duffield, 7th and 8th grade English teacher, said, “I love Salvatore Scallopini and all of the parks!”

The parks are a very popular hangout at all times of the year. In the summer, you can jump in the pool or go to the beach at Pier Park. You can ride the waterslide at Lake Front Park. In the fall and spring, you can go fishing on the docks, and in spring, fall, and summer, you can go for a ride on your boat if you have one! Even in the winter there is plenty to do. At Windmill Pointe Park, there is a movie theater and a skating rink, as well as a rink at Pier Park. Also, most of the parks have recreation centers for physical activities, plus games like air hockey and ping pong, like at Lake Front Park.

Brownell students go to all sorts of areas of Grosse Pointe. Going to our favorite places, especially with friends, is a lot of fun. We are really lucky to live in such a nice city. It’s not big, and not many newsworthy, or even incredibly interesting things (at our age) happen. But, there is enough for us to do to stay busy, and enough places to go to have fun, so get out there and enjoy our town!