Paying for good grades?

Paying students would cause more problems than offer solutions.

Evelyn R., Staff Writer

Every student has had the thought that they would do better in school if they were more motivated. But is the idea of students being paid for them too far fetched?

No one can deny that it would push the students to work harder, however, there are many more ways to do that. If the students were paid for their good grades, where would the money come from? Though it may sound like a good idea, students being paid for their grades might not help as much as you think.

In order to do your best work, you need motivation of some sort. Money is not the best one to turn to. By paying the students, you are making them ignore the healthy motivations that are presented to them everyday. The motivation to get in a good school, to have a bright future, to get a good job, to be prepared for life. These are just a few of the reasons students should aim to receive the best grades they can. If students were more focused on trying their best to prove something to themselves, they would be able to use that motivation for the rest of their lives.

“Kids won’t try to learn, they would just look things up and copy and paste it. They wouldn’t put in the effort, they’d do it just for the grade,” said eighth grader Eliza E..

If students were wholeheartedly devoted to doing good on their homework for money, there would need to be a person or place to get the money from. The school might not have enough money to pay all the kids. Their parents are working hard to make money to care for them. If they are the ones who have to pay the students, they might not have enough money.

This also creates an issue of every student being paid the same amount. With so many students in a school, every student will be paid very little, definitely not enough to motivate them. If some students are paid more than others, it will cause controversy in the school. The money conflict in this situation makes it hard to believe it will really help anyone at all.

“I feel like it (the money) would increase cheating in the school and the kids would spend it on bad stuff.” said eighth grader Andreas P..

The idea of being paid for doing something well would most likely sound amazing at first. However, in order to be paid, you have to work hard. If students weren’t to get good grades, more stress would be put on their shoulders. Students would become upset if they watch other people earn more money than them, while they struggle to make any.

This situation could cause the children to develop an unhealthy vision of the world and working. It might also get the children too attached to money. Students might be given the idea that the only reason they should try hard is to be paid, not to help themselves or other people. What may seem like a great idea will actually promote terrible habits to our students.

“You should want good grades to get in a good college, so you can get a good job.I don’t see the need for the money.” said Rachel A., eighth grader.

Though many people may disagree,students should not be paid for good grades. The money is more likely to harm the children’s motivation than help it. It is unrealistic that there would be enough money to give every student an equal amount that will encourage them. If payments were given to the students, some bad habits will emerge.

Overall, the problems created if students were paid outweigh the benefits. At school, we want to receive good grades in a way that is helpful to the students. Paying the students is not the way to help them for the rest of their lives.