Irrelevancy of Handwriting

Jacob H., Staff Writer

Technology is changing the world as we know it. The gadgets that we see everyday are creating new outlooks on some of the most common things ingrained in our brains. One of the things being affected by growing technology is the simple task of writing by hand.

Many students in elementary school spend a lot of useless time learning to write in cursive. The teacher may say,”In middle school you will need to write in cursive all the time.” That is, in fact, false.

Cursive is officially, for the most part, an art of the past. Maybe this is what handwriting will amount to soon. The only reason most students learn cursive is to read historical documents. Maybe, that will be the only reason the children of the future will know how to read handwriting.

According to Telegraph News UK, 82% of teachers believe that the deterioration of handwriting is due to the overuse of technology. Coming from a bad handwriter myself, sometimes it is just a matter of rushing through work. Handwriting should still be taught throughout all schools, but teachers should prepare their students for what the future holds: keyboards. Students will need to improve their typing skills more than their handwriting skills if they want to be able to efficiently complete their future assignments.

Consider this: when reading a book that you must take notes on, if you can type without looking you could read your novel while taking notes on your computer. If you had to write everything, you would have to stop what you are reading, write down what you found, and then continue this process. Being a successful college and even high school student requires incredible efficiency. Saving time is very important, and with skills on a keyboard, mass amounts of time could be saved during a college career.

Handwriting may not already be a thing of the past, but it could surely be heading down that path. It is still essential, for now, to teach to students, but keyboard skills should be close to equally emphasized. Handwriting skills is something you have or don’t have for some people, but with practice, typing skills can be developed. In the near future, handwriting may end up with the same fate the old cursive form of writing had.