In Our Opinion: Holiday break for 2017 schedule a negative impact for students and families

Editorial Staff

Walking out of school on December 22nd, you are so excited for your break. Two weeks of no school, sleeping in, vacation, fun with friends and family, and so much more. But… wait. It isn’t two weeks! It’s only a week and a half! The Bronco Press doesn’t agree with this new calendar change that was recently released on the Grosse Pointe Public Schools website.

It is not fair that the school system is limiting our break. It’s a much-needed two-week period where the stress of school is on pause and we can do whatever we want. For many, it’s quality time to spend with family, holiday traditions, and travel that may now change because of the shortened time.

Not only that, but it is also is a time where students can just relax on the couch watching a movie or sleep in until one in the afternoon, maybe get together with a group of friends and hangout.  It doesn’t matter what kids do over break, the district shouldn’t limit the break to a week and a half.

Maybe your cousins are coming over the second week of vacation and on Wednesday you are in school. Maybe those plane tickets and hotel rooms your parents bought now have to be cancelled so that it doesn’t interfere with school. This isn’t fair. Students have family traditions, plans, and even though there is only a few day difference it makes a huge impact.