Speaking Up or Sitting Out?

Jacob H., Staff Writer

Professional football player Colin Kaepernick sparked a lot of controversy by kneeling during the National Anthem before games. His sitting out of the anthem inspired many other people to do so as well. According to Kaepernick, he used his big stage to raise awareness to the “unjust” actions that go unnoticed in America.

Many Americans hear about him or even see him kneel on TV, but what about the ones that aren’t seen across the country? What kind of awareness are they advertising?

Students at schools across the nation have hopped on the bandwagon and started to make a stand, or a sit, by not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance. Students in our own school have joined this sit-out as well. However, what kind of stand are they making?

Yes, there are many problems in our country. Some cannot be fixed with the wave of a magic wand, but what kind of effect are they creating? In a public school in a small city, the cause they may seek to raise awareness to won’t really receive any attention whatsoever.

Kaepernick and other public figures will bring attention to what exactly their cause is through interviews broadcast on social media, whereas students at school will just be sitting during the Pledge. For what reason? Not many people will really know. They won’t be interviewed and have their opinions known by the whole city because they are just another student at just another school.

Maybe, some students really don’t have a cause that they feel passionate about. Some may even just join the crowd and believe in whatever reason everyone else is doing it for. Some students may have a belief they are very passionate about, but what kind of attention are they really bringing to it if no one knows what the issue even is?

If students do it just for attention, I feel like it is a disgrace to those who really do it because they want a better country.

If a certain group of students decided to stand up for what they believe in by demonstrating more respectful actions, there would really be no conflict such as sitting for the Pledge.

Wear some sort of shirt or button or something other than showing no respect to the officials of this country. We should be grateful to live in country with as many freedoms and liberties as we have in America.

Without any platform to promote your ideas or passions, then what is the point of sitting down for The Pledge or The National Anthem? Students should find a better way to speak out about their problems with America. Create a proposal to the school or community stating your issue or complaint would be much more ethical. Sitting for the Pledge is a disrespect to the people that work hard to make our country as great as they can for everyone.