Celebrate the freedoms of America by exercising right to say pledge

emaze.com

Evelyn R., Staff Writer

With something so simple as the Pledge of Allegiance, it’s hard to believe that there could be any controversy within its words. However, for many years people have debated if the phrase “under God” is a violation of people’s freedom of religion.

Citizens have discussed if schools should have all students participate in saying the pledge, or if it should be optional. In most schools, students feel pressured to say the pledge, even if they pursue a different religion. Perhaps the Pledge of Allegiance isn’t as simple as we thought.

Something everyone holds very close to their hearts is their freedom. When someone feels as if their freedom has been violated, a huge problem is created.

That’s how some people view the Pledge of Allegiance. According to these people the phrase “under God” make them feel as though their freedom of religion has been disregarded . Not everyone believes in the same religious practices, and their ability to practice what they want is protected by the First Amendment. The problem would only get worse if public schools made the students recite it.

“It (the phrase ‘under God’) makes them (the students) feel like they have to believe in God,” said 8th grader Elizabeth C.

The pledge is spoken to declare your devotion to your country, not to a specific god or religious being. The words “under God” cause a different purpose to be added when saying the pledge. The best way to show you love your country is to speak about it and sincerely mean the words you say.

If someone is being forced or pressured to say those words, they’re not really showing care towards their country. This is what would occur if public schools made it mandatory. The school would be ignoring the feelings of some students. Even at Brownell, some students don’t recite the pledge because of their opinions on the controversial phrase.

“Some people don’t stand for the pledge because they don’t feel welcome in their country.”  Said Imani C., 8th grader.

Whether they admit it or not, most students care a lot about what their peers think of them. Seeming “different” or attracting to much attention to oneself makes people feel out of place and worried. When it comes to saying the pledge,students who don’t

participate in it might get the impression they are separate from the rest of the kids. These feelings of not “belonging” can cause stress and make them feel pressured to do something they normally wouldn’t do.

“The fact they feel that they have to pledge when they don’t believe in the things their pledging ( is how the pledge could make some people feel uncomfortable).” Abaigeal M., 8th grader, says.

The Pledge of Allegiance is intended to be a way to show gratitude towards your country. It is not supposed to make citizens feel uncomfortable by referring to any specific religion. If someone chooses to not say the pledge, they shouldn’t be teased or treated differently.

People should not be forced to do something to prove they love the place they live.The pledge shouldn’t be mandatory if it makes students uncomfortable to say the phrase “under God.” It would be a serious problem if public schools forced children to recite the pledge without thinking of how it might make them feel.