Obesity Epidemic

Annabell A., Writer

66% of all Americans are overweight and obese.  Can you imagine a school cafeteria full of unhealthy foods that are causing kids to have unhealthy eating habits? Schools are teaching kids that it’s okay to eat junk, but it’s 100% not okay. Schools need to start promoting healthy foods, so kids will realize that eating garbage is BAD. But, junk food promotion is what is happening today in every day schools. Unhealthy cafeteria foods is one of the leading causes of obesity and other health problems in children.

Becoming overweight has many consequences; depressive symptoms, poor body image,low self-concept
risk for eating disorders, behavior and learning problems. So if your child’s school cafeteria is serving unhealthy food with the risk of these problems, how would you feel about  what your child is is eating everyday.

At Brownell Middle School don’t you wonder what goes into the food you buy here everyday?  

Monday- Crispy chicken tenders: 240 calories, 15 carbs, 2 grams of sugar. Hawaiian Pizza: 360 calories, 38 carbs, 8 grams of sugar. BBQ Shredded Pork Sandwich: 350 calories, 35 carbs, 9 grams of sugar.

Tuesday- Seasoned Taco Beef: 180 calories, 3 carbs, 0 grams of sugar. Fajita Style Chicken: 100 calories, 1 carb, 0 grams of sugar. Classic cheese Pizza: 360 calories, 35 carbs, 4 grams of sugar.
Wednesday- Philly Cheese Steak: 360 calories, 30 carbs, 6 grams of sugar. Cheese Burger Pizza: 370 calories, 34 carbs, 4 grams of sugar.

Thursday- BBQ shredded Pork sandwich: 350 calories, 35 carbs, 9 grams of sugar. BBQ chicken Wrap: 350 calories, 45 carbs, 12 grams of sugar.

Friday- Denver Breakfast Bowl: 180 calories, 8 carbs, 2 grams of sugar. Veggie Lover’s Pizza: 370 calories, 36 carbs, 5 grams of sugar.

40% of all students diets come from added sugars and unhealthy fats. Just imagine what percent of that is coming from cafeteria foods. Also, American students consume 20-50% of their daily calories while at school. WOW! Lastly, In 2015 the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), said that 17% of children 2-19 are obese. Most kids who eat unhealthy as a child will most likely become obese as an adult.

If schools don’t start serving healthy foods to children, all kids who consume hot lunch will be at risk. Schools need to start the healthy initiative before it’s too late. If kids think it’s okay to eat unhealthy at school, what will they start doing at home?

Works Cited

“Brownell – Lunch Menus.” Brownell | Official Lunch Menus & Meal Information, gpschools.nutrislice.com/menu/brownell/lunch/.

“Childhood Obesity Facts.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Oct. 2017, www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/childhood.html.